In anticipation of the adoption of new curricular materials for science in 2017, I-STEM Resource Network collaborated with Change the Equation, a national STEM education nonprofit, which has created STEMworks, a national honor roll of effective STEM education programs. The I-STEM review committee, comprised of experienced K-8 science educators, administrators and content experts, evaluated STEM curricular programs against the rigorous STEMworks rubric and additional Indiana-specific criteria, specifically the process standards, designed to assess the quality of science curriculum. The Purdue School of Engineering Education was helpful in expanding the Indiana criteria. Details on the rubric are here.
Below are our recommendations for K-8 STEM curricula and the rating each received.
- FOSS: Accomplished in every category
- STC: Accomplished in everything but “Engage in Argument from Evidence”, where they scored a Developing rating
- PLTW: Accomplished in everything but “Construct explanation and design solutions”, where they scored a Developing rating
- Engineering is Elementary: Accomplished in everything except: “Develop and Use Models”, where they scored a Developing rating
- Ten80: Accomplished in every category
- SEPUP: Accomplished in every category.